Friday, January 22, 2010

Does birth control make you gain weight or is it the increase in appetite that makes you gain?

I'm starting the pill and I'm afraid I'm all of a sudden going to gain a bunch of weight. Did you gain any when you first started the pill? Does it actually make you fatter or do women just gain weight from it because their appetites increase and they eat more? Or am I going to balloon up regardless of what I eat???? How horrible!


Or does the scale go up simply because of breast size increase? It's not actual fat that you gain...right?Does birth control make you gain weight or is it the increase in appetite that makes you gain?
I don't think I gained weight-- but I wanted to eat everything.





No-- I don't think you will just get huge are anything. Yes my breast size went up a cup.Does birth control make you gain weight or is it the increase in appetite that makes you gain?
I have been on the pill for 2 years now. And I have weighed the same for the past 6 years.





There is a common myth that if you are on the pill over time you will gain weight. But if you think about it, people just gain weight over time. Its not directly the pill. People who have been on the pill usually just link it to the fact that since they are on the pill it must be that.





I'm telling you, you wont gain weight BECAUSE of the pill. You may gain weight naturally over time based on what you eat and how active you are. Hormones cant make people gain weight. All the pill is is a high dosage of hormones that are already found naturally in your body.





Also, your appetite doesnt increase. Everyone is different and appetite may increase in people for many different reasons. Not because of the pill.





Also breast enlargement due to the pill is rare and doesnt happen in everyone. People who have had this probably werent done growing yet and link that since they were on the pill , this is probably why they grew.





Even if you do gain weight, whats 5 lbs over horrible achy cramps, heavy flow, and a higher chance of getting pregnant if sexually active?


I'd take the 5lbs any day. you can always work it off.
First off, there's no guarantee you are going to gain weight. Some people actually lose weight when starting the pill. And what A LOT of people don't know is that when it says you could gain weight, it's only about 5 pounds IF you gain any at all. Five pounds is not a big deal. I doubt you'd even notice it in the mirror. Plus if you do gain a few pounds, you can easily lose it in a couple weeks.





But yes, the weight gain comes from eating more. The eating more is because of the hormones.





Just keep in mind not everyone gains weight from the pill. I didn't. Heck, you may lose some weight. :) So don't worry about ';ballooning up'; because you won't. :)
I have been on several types of birth control over the past 5 years and I never put any weight on. It's all dependent on the hormones (yes, they come in all different assortments of hormone combinations). I also have at least 10 friends on either the pill or the shot and not a single one of them have gained weight. Don't believe the hype, everyone's body is different so until you try it you won't know.
when I started depo I didn't notice any over eating or weight gain. Until I went back for another shot and they weighed me. I gained 15 lbs!!! and never even knew it. I felt hungry all the time. My doctor told me that the shot will make my body think it's pregnant so I will feel hungry all the time, and I had wicked cravings. I learned not to eat til I was full and that I really wasn't hungry all the time.





I took the 15 lbs off. And my boobs did go up a size.





I have some friends that gained weight also. One of them gained almost 30 lbs.





When you feel hungry just have a little snack, and exercise
I once read an article that the hormone fluctuation caused by birth control pills can make you gain or lose a maximum of 3 pounds. The rest of the weight gain is due to an increased appetite. But when I was on the pill, I never gained even the three pounds.
i think all of these are false. i heard them all and asked my doctor about all them when i got on the pill. she said it wasnt true. i actually lost weight. my boobs stayed the same. my face did clear up though.
ive been on the pill for maaany years and it never made me gain a pound.. BUT i recently got the depo shot and gained a few pounds.. and im starving all the time! dnt know if this is becuz of the shot? i barely got my 2nd shot...
gaining weight does no longer happen anymore... it was the old pill that did it...just eat a healthy balanced diet and you will be fine :)

No comments:

Post a Comment