Sunday, January 24, 2010

Is it wrong to put 17 yr old birth control?

I recently discovered my daughter had been sexually active. I put her on the pill. I kind of feel like I'm giving her permission even though I made it clear I am not. I also told her if she did to still use condom to protect her from STD's.Is it wrong to put 17 yr old birth control?
It was a smart move. You aren't giving her permission if she was already sexually active. She will have sex whether or not you put her on birth control. What you have done is EDUCATE her on her option to use birth control and help protect herself rather then relying on the guy to keep her protected. I would do the same for my daughter.Is it wrong to put 17 yr old birth control?
It was wise, your daughter is a young woman at 17 not a child and will be very soon 18. Although you can not really PUT her on the pill, that is a figure of speach, it is her choice as a woman to go on it or not. She does not need your permission to have sex or obtain the pill, but understanding as a human she is a sexual being will help your relationship with her in the years to come.
Kids as young as 12 are on birth control now a days so at seventeen, it's definitely a safe option. I think it's good that you are supporting her in her adolescent years instead of screaming, ';No! You can't have sex!'; Negotiation is definitely more effective than not doing so and you will have a better relationship with your daughter. :)
You aren't giving her permission you are just doing the responsible thing in teaching your daughter that if she is going to make the decision to have sex then she should be protected. You also want to make sure she understands that some STD's like herpes can spread even with a condom especially during outbreak and that even with BC and protection pregnancy may occur.
My mom let me go on the pill when I was 17 because I told her I was having sex with my boyfriend. She told me to respect myself and use a condom, so I did. I never felt like the pill gave me permission to be a whore, but I respected my mom a lot more for understanding and letting me get it. I'd already decided to have sex, so being on the pill just made it safer for me.





So no, I don't think it's wrong at all.
I think that you made the right choice. The thing is, you really can't control whether or not your children have sex because you obviously can't be around them 24/7. However, you can do your best to stop them from having children out of wedlock by educating them about contraceptives. At least now, your daughter is less likely to get pregnant at a young age.
Heya





Your totally right in putting her on birth control. The advice you gave her was also very good. 17 years old is not to young to put on birth control. Im 17 and pregnant (found out when i was 16) and im sure you as a mam would be much happy her taking a pill a day than having to wake up to a screaming baby every day. =] xxx
You're taking the right steps to keep her safe.


Unfortunately, however, it is probably something you will have to persist on doing because most likely she has already made up her mind about becoming sexually active. Most of the time when teens make a decision like that it's not easy to change..especially from parents.
I would think it might be a good idea to do a mother/daughter night out. Try to do this at least once a month. Of course you'll be bonding over shopping and dinner and maybe a movie but you also need to make sure she has some condoms (if she's already having sex then make sure she's got condoms and using them) Also maybe you'll be talking a lot so you can help her through any feelings she's having because at that age boys break up with girls and girls get mad at boys and things get messy very fast. Share your dating stories and such. Good Luck~~~
I'm 17 (not sexually active). I actually think you did the right thing, because regardless as to what you tell her shes going to have sex... Yeah it makes it slightly easier for her to get away with it now but this way it adds more protection. She was having sex before you put her on birth control.. you can at least somewhat rest easy knowing there is a lesser chance of her becoming pregnant.
No, that is not wrong at all! That is a really really good. If she was already sexually active, it seems like she didn't need your permission. As long as she continues to use condoms she should be totally fine. You are just doing your job as a mom and protecting your child as best you can.
i duno because the birhtcontrol pill can be dangerous too.. thats a hard one if she is being active .. i was active at that age and never got pregnant and never took birth control or worried about condoms.. but i always had one steady boyfriend soo i guess there is less of a chance. you just have to make sure she only does it with one person and not everyone. if shes sleeping around then yes the bc is a good idea and yes she does need condoms so u did do the right thing.
Well is not a good age to begin sexual activity, but is good that she knows how to protect herself because of the sexual diseases, so keep an eye on her and tell her that you love her and you only wants the best for her. Get closer to your daughter so that she can trust you.
yeah you are giving her permission and are saying ';i dont care if you have sex as long as you dont get pregnant';





we both know that the above statement is not truel. no parent likes to find out their child (expecially daughters) is sexually active.





so i would take her off the pill and tell her where you stand
No...I don't think that it's wrong at all. I started the birth control pill when I was 14, but I was never sexually active.





You're just trying to protect your daughter...but remember, there is only so much control that you have over her...she's growing up now and you can't force her to take a pill.
You did the right thing.I was young had my son at 17.Not to scare you.But just be honest with your daughter tell her you are not encouraging her but let her know how to be safe. Lets face it if a teen wants to do something they will do with or without your permission.Dont judge just be there and make her feel she can come to you. Believe me it sucks when you are young and cant turn to your parents for help.
no you are a good mom for that, honestly. more moms should start doing that, you did give her permission and it's better this way for your peace of mind and her own. as long as she knows right from wrong you guys will be alright. don't listen to people telling you that you are wrong, most teens are on birthcontrol anyway their parents just dont know about it.
yes its ok. actually its the best thing you can do for your daughter. she will just rebel against you if you ground her or tell her to stop...putting her on the pill keeps her safe and making sure she has condoms helps as well.





Schools these days just try to teach us to practice abstinence and try to scare us into it by telling us we'll get AIDS and stds. it doesn't work trust me. in fact, it probably increases teen sex. nothing is more popular to a teenager than something that is against the rules...to a certain degree.
You did the right thing. She would do it anyway without your permission, obviously, so try and protect her from her own decisions as long as you can.





At least you are not in denial about the whole thing.
you did the right thing, i mean i have been on it since around 15, and really for me it was for my periods, but my mom never let me stop taking it because she always wanted me to atleast have that at a minimum.
No! Wouldn't you much rather her have protected sex than you become a grandmother right now?? She's going to have sex whether you condone it or not, so you are doing what you can to protect her. :o)
You are not 'giving her permission.' YOu are accepting that she has made her own decision, and helping reduce the risks of bad outcomes.
You did the right thing, you can help her make the right choices but you cant make them for her :)
It's absolutely not wrong. It's really responsible and mature. A lot of parents would ignore it.
I think it's extremely smart. It's not like if you kept birth control away from her she wouldn't have sex. You are protecting your daughter and I think you're a good mother for doing that!
your not giving her permission your helping her to be safe, really stress to use condoms too
its the right thing...i`m 15 and i`m on the pill but i hope she considers the consequences and has a plan if she goes and gets pregnant!!!!
I think you did the right thing, it's at least the responsible thing to do since she can't get it herself being underage. I wish more parents were like you!
it is better to be safe than sorry. She is still your child and regardless of anything you are legally responsible for her actions.
You did the right thing. Better a daughter on the pill than a grandchild in the house!!!!!!!
Nothing is wrong with that you are protecting her from what could happen, my mom put me on right when i turned 16.

No comments:

Post a Comment