Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Is it possible to use a TV remote control with windows media center?

I'm running windows vista, and I can get an IR receiver, and have a new Sharp HDTV with a remote that allows for controlling DVD players and other devices (like a universal remote).Is it possible to use a TV remote control with windows media center?
Most likely not. TV remotes will allow you to control other devices. How ever that were it end. These remotes can recall IR code from a preinstalled data base of code sets. As of now The Windows Media center IR data base is not part of the Per set.





This doesn't mean you can't use a learning remote. Some of these Learning remotes can be purchased for less than $50.00.Is it possible to use a TV remote control with windows media center?
Sure, if your TV remote can ';learn'; from your Media Center remote. The Sharp remote isn't going to have pre-programmed codes for Media Center and I doubt if it has learning functionality. You're probably going to have better luck finding a Media Center remote that can run your TV.





I'm a Media Center fan. there are 3 VMC (Vista Media Center) boxes and two xbox extenders in my house. I've tried several after market remotes for my VMCs and the one I like best is by Gyration. It should run your TV just fine too.

No comments:

Post a Comment